I've finally got around to publicly hosting my DevSta entry - Desktop Racer. Turns out it was pretty easy, I was just too burnt out by it to want to do anything with it till now.

Play Desktop Racer Now

Looking at it now, I'm a little disappointed I didn't just go a little bit further and add a two player mode as I think it would have actually made it fun to play. But honestly after the sixth day of the competition I was so over it I didn't care.

I would like to add the two player mode and some performance improvements to make it a bit more fun to play, but I seriously doubt I'll ever get round to doing it. I'm already half way into an ASP.NET MVC weblog project and I've also suddenly become really interested in learning Python.

I'm going to upload the source as well for anyone who is interested, but I warn you its probably not a great example Silverlight application as I was just learning what was a beta technology at the time. As the competition was only 200 hours I didn't spend much time pondering what would be the best way to implement it, I pretty much just got in and started coding. Some logic is nicely packaged but some classes just ended up getting way to large and unwieldy. I've since seen some good demos and blogs on patterns to help separate out the presentation and logic.

There are some cool-ish parts in the code; I like how the level and all the level elements are defined in XAML so you can visualize the level at design time in Visual Studios. I also kind of like how the all the level elements the car can collide with implement an interface that has its geometric information. This allowed my to simplify the collision logic to two type of geometric primitive and basically calculate and collision with all the level elements in a single loop.

Comments

Comment